Job Title: Research Associate/Apprentice Private Investigator
Job Description: PFC is seeking a mature individual to conduct various kinds of public records research. Initially, the job will consist of conducting pre-employment background checks and general office duties, as outlined in the list of duties and responsibilities. Conducting pre-employment background checks provides an excellent introduction to the field of public records research. When mastery of the processes involved in conducting background checks is achieved, more in-depth research projects may be assigned and the employee may accrue the hours required to apply for a California Private Investigator’s license.
Qualifications: The ideal applicant must be EXTREMELY detail-oriented. A background as a research librarian or paralegal would be extremely desirable. Accuracy of data entry skills is essential to this position. Computer and Internet skills are required; namely, Word, Excel, and social media. (Knowledge of Quick Books is a plus, but not a requirement.) In addition to detail orientation, the ideal candidate must be very well-organized and is able to juggle priorities. This is a very fast-paced office environment, in which both accuracy and efficiency are required. The candidate must also demonstrate excellent writing, proofreading, critical thinking, and verbal communication skills. Some knowledge of public records and/or a paralegal background is desirable. A proven track record of successful employment and a college degree are required.
Initial Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Conducting Pre-Employment Background Checks
2. Writing Reports pertaining to Background Checks
3. Answering Phone Calls
4. Faxing/Emailing Reports
5. Responding to Client Inquiries
6. Occasional Errands (Office Depot, Fed Ex, etc.)
7. Monthly Invoices (Creating and Mailing)
8. Maintaining Daily Log of Work in Process
9. General Clerical Support
Terms of Employment
1. Starting salary: $20.00 to $25.00 per hour.
2. Upon completion of one year’s employment: one week of paid vacation per year and paid federal holidays.
3. Six days of sick leave per year. One half day is earned per month.
4. The weekly work schedule will be from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday at the employer’s office in Oakland, CA. Employee agrees to be available for work within the agreed upon schedule unless 2-day prior notice to employer is provided (this does not include sickness or emergencies).
5. Databases accessed by employer and other information vendors will be utilized only in connection with employer’s work.
6. Employee agrees and understands that the methodology by which the employer gathers information is proprietary in nature. As such, this information will not be discussed with anyone. Employee agrees that he/she will not accept employment with an employer’s client, competitor, or vendor for a period of three years upon termination of employment with employer. In addition, the employee agrees that he/she will not establish a business in any way similar to or in competition with employer’s for a period of three years following termination of employment.
7. The identity of all clients will be kept confidential.
8. Job duties and responsibilities are not limited to the items listed in this agreement. If the employee’s duties are expanded to include more complex research, the employee’s hourly wage will be adjusted accordingly.
Interested applicants should send a resume (with references), cover letter, and writing sample of their choice to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have a writing sample, a one-page statement defining your interest in this position and how your previous experience has qualified you will be accepted in lieu of a writing sample.
Please do not call to inquire about this position. Candidates should expect to undergo both a background check and a drug screen prior to being granted an interview.